Wednesday 20 May 2020

Pact to the Future: Turn, Score, and Re-Roll markers / Spero Secundus

Greetings all, 

Just a quickie from me today, partly because I don't have much to show. I'm still working away on my Chaos Renegades/Pact team, and I've very nearly completed Phase One. In this case, I've just finished off some cool little markers for the team:


They're made from old school chaos familiars. I kept the integral bases visible and painted them gold, to make them look like heathen idols. Handily, this also ticks off a few more familiars from my "paint all the familiars" project. Unfortunately, I've had a minor issue with the varnish on these guys, but I'm hoping I can fix it. 

Because I always give everything two coats of matt varnish if it's for gameplay, the metal ended up very dull on these, and I wanted them to shine a bit. So I brushed on a little Citadel Ardcoat gloss varnish. Unfortunately, this is still slightly tacky several days later. I'm gonna hit them with a light coat of matt and then brush over some Vallejo gloss, to see if that solves the problem...

On an entirely different note: I'm currently taking part in a sort of Inq28/Frostgrave/RPG mash up, organised by my good mate Alex from Lead Balloony, and taking place on the world of Spero Secundus. One of the most important plot points is a mysterious alien key, so one of the other players, our mutual friend Mark from Heresy Of Us, 3D printed one for all the players as a cool surprise! I went to town on mine with rust effects just to see what I could achieve, and I'm rather pleased with how it turned out: 





I skinned the whole thing in green stuff and sanded it down, then just practised my heavy rust effects. Came out pretty well I think. I can't go without mentioning the excellent blog of our other player and friend, Steve over at Jedicorn.

Till next time!


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are having a varnishing problem, it is such a pain in the butt. I often have troubles because it is often so humid where I live. I test poured some water effects once and it worked perfectly. A couple of days later I did the real pour and it never set, wrecking the project [sigh]. Hopefully things go well for you with the touch-up. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, brother. The touch up work actually went fairly well, and they seem to be ok now, luckily. That sucks about the water effects. They can look great, but I've heard too many horror stories to ever try it!

      Delete